My Realm

Meet me - know me - read my posts and try to figure me! Well I am someone who is always thirsty for adventure, someone who simply hates playing sheep(u know the types - follow the herd!). An enthusiastic trekker, who loves to travel and ever ready for one of those wierd new found sports- luv to make new friends and njoy being my family's pet :)!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

MahaSabha - The place to vent it out

Desclaimer: This is a write up out of common frustrations of a general s/w engineer.

Having worked here for over 2 years has definately got me through all shades of this group, for which I stood by right from the initial setup phase (Seting up machines, Labs, requirenments, recruitements and obviously my role software development -more of porting :-( ).

It was a momentous ride from a 3 member startup of just developers to a high of about 15 people in this group. The one thing that stood out in this group were the people and the talent we got. No not the work talent (sure every member was full of his/her own capabilities and unique in that too) :) - I am talking about anything apart from work talent :)). So basically it was a cohesive group.

Having parties, going on trips, meeting deadlines, fighting to get work down from the US counterparts for our new team. It was a struggle. Unfortunately the struggle for work led to the dark phase of this group, which unfortunately still looms thick over the group.

Amongst old timers I am the only one left- I have come to be called as the Bhisma-Pita-Maha of the group :-). Definatley the one who stayed with this group from all time and has taken all the blows (I dunno how many more are yet to come). Now I dunno when my time would come when I lay on the bed of arrows, sip the last drop and bid adieu.

Its unfortunate that this group, though so closely knit, is in such a demotivated sorry state. What makes it so bad is for the fact that people are good at what they do and do have a charisma for good work. The other thing I feel bad for are the new recruits that have come to this group ( its bad to see people being taken into a demotivated environment- where most of the work related talks are negative). Everyone is aspiring for better work here, looking forth for better increments, looking forth for a better sense of importance- but its sad that non of these have ever been showered on the group as a whole.

There were very bad pinching stages in the group where none of the members got good increments -all were told they were already on the higher side of things. When ever it looked like good work was coming in, something would go wrong and it left. The group was always kicked from one parent-group to another (in software companny terms from one vertical to another)- thus adding more to the dissatisfaction.

To hit it bad even the manager recently quit the group, and a co-worker was unfortunately asked to let go.

Now-a-days, we all sit on the terrace everyday during evening-snacks in the little quaint hut sitout, enjoying the setting sun and vent our frustrations out. Everyone has something to talk about, may it be good old times or the current black cloud. We sit there sometimes 10 mins and for hours together on other ocations. Its just one of the ways we vent our frustrations out.

This place where all the aspecs of these frustrations are vented out has come to be coined in the group as "MahaSabha"! May you skip other meetings or not, may you have snaks lunch or not- One never misses to sit it out at the MahaSabha.

MahaSabha is a metaphor which gives every member in our group to vent his bad breath, talk of all carefree things, decide on any upcoming trips parties or whatever. Anything that needs to be spoken out or vent with no stoppers - MahaSabha is the spot for us :-).

Siting in the evening sun , enjoying the warm brisk breeze, with a cup of hot tea and evening snaks and all this talking with your buddies who seem to share the same wavelength for all sorts of discussions that would pop up. This the perfect setting for any good, bad or casual talk!

You could say its one of the anger/frustration management tools for the group. Or just another sit out (at even times) to meditate or just let the coming time pass by.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Yogesh Hublikar said...

So here is your "Mahalekh" ;)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Aniket Anikhindi said...

maan, just 2 years and what you see is this much upheavel eh.. let me attend your Mahasabha once and tell me your experience and the "real" Bhishma Pita mahas existing in the 'truth' thats lost now!

3:27 AM  
Blogger vindy said...

well as I said I am the Bhishma for my own grp in its own ways.... Other Bhishmas and pitamahas would have their own war to wage... We are content (metaphor) with ours.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


hey Vindy,

I read your article on mahasabha today. You have correctly expressed the feeling and sadness in the group in your article. Hat's off to you. While reading, a complete picture came in front of my eyes as if i am attending that mahasabha with all of you guyz as I have done in the past. It refreshed all the old memories of the group. I am missing all of you guyz.

- Sujit

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home